Back in December, once I got to be very pregnant with Sophie, I pretty much resigned myself to hibernating until she came. It was too cold to want to go anywhere, I had extended special time with Ella before our new arrival, I could take naps, put away all of the holiday decorations, wash all our gender neutral clothes, read; it was great Yet, I still needed s.o.m.e.t.h.i.n.g. During that time, Joel and I decided we need to join the LOST bandwagon and were making our way through the first four seasons to get ready for the premier of Season Five. Alas, I digress….
On to the blanket. Even in all the perfectness of waiting for the baby, I was growing bored and impatient. So, I began a kniting project. I had never knitted.
I knit her a blanket. It was slow going at first, my stitches were so tight I could barely get the needle into them. Apparently, I was anxious about something.
I used seven skeins of Rowan Cotton in cream. We did not know if the baby was a boy or a girl when I began the project. All I really wanted was a way to pass the time, waiting. I was going to be perfectly happy with a completed project and my original intention was nothing more than rectangular knit blanket. But, the more I worked on the blanket, the more I knew I wanted to know how to knit. Really knit and be able to make something that would not end up rectangular (someday). I took a knitting class. And, the result of class was an added ruffle. As well as learning how to fix the mistakes I was making like they were going out of style. The only thing better than a ruffle for a little girl is a double ruffle, so Sophie’s blanket was given a double ruffle. By the time I actually got to the ruffle she had been with us for a couple months 🙂
I cast on 125 stitches and knit until I used up all the yarn I had purchased (Technical, I know). Then, the brown ruffle which is longer was a double increase on the first row once I picked up the cream stitches. The pink ruffle, was a double increase of the picked up stitches and then a double increase again, resulting in 500 stitches. When you bind off the ruffle appears, and not a moment sooner.
While it did take me months to finish, it didn’t take me until almost the beginning of August to finish knitting the blanket. It did take me that long to take the pictures and make the post. I am know working on a scarf. Rectangular I know, but it is a new stitch pattern!