The weekend started on Thursday for the girls and I. Joel was off to his annual Dude Ranch reunion with the dudes.
We went to the Farmer’s Market and came home with concord grapes which send me straight back to swimming in our childhood pool, picking them off the vine while leaning over the side of the pool and letting them slide down my throat without their hard skin.
We made a quick stop at the library to exchange books. The girls found Fancy Nancy books. We love Fancy Nancy around here.
We went swimming and the girls invented a crab game in the pool. Sometimes I can’t believe how much they changed this summer. All I know is they played happily for an hour while Eva and I relaxed and when we got home they both took naps.
Friday night we watched Peter Pan. Saturday I had to take their play house out of the playroom because they kept reenacting the rooftop scene.
We played freeze dance.
We made peach cobbler.
We cleaned out the play room.
I ripped out my knitting and began again.
We had too many chiefs. We had whining. We had talking back. We needed Dad to come home.
Once he got home, there were many hugs, some “this is what good behavior looks like” talks and very early bed times. I got a foot rub and Indian take-out. All is now well.
For these moments:
- reunions with 12 great guys
- watching their lives stay knitted together for the past 10 years
- seeing more wedding and babies with each passing year
- searching for the best looking cucumber at the farmer’s market
- coming home with a lavender plant, as well
- the girls parting with their books they know they don’t read anymore
- freeze dance
- roasted eggplant over pasta
- evie eating aforementioned meal
- evening talks with the neighbors
- joel coming home
- seeing how quickly equilibrium is restored
For these moments, these pauses, the grace of God in the moment, I am so thankful.
If you are inspired, leave me one (or more) grateful moments in the comments. I would love to see them! Happy Day, friends!